Historically, the strength of Edge International has been in tying strategy to the ability to increase firms’ revenue streams through supportive marketing support. We understand that there are two important functions involved in the development of new revenue: marketing that establishes the firm’s reputation and recognition, and business development which involves the face-to-face activities necessary to actually develop engagements. Among the services we have had occasion to provide to our clients are:
- Business Development Training. Lawyers often lack the skills and confidence to effectively seek business from clients. We work with firms to develop customized programs that go beyond an educational seminar and include personalized coaching on selling and presentation skills.
- Market Research. Understanding a market is the most important first step to capturing its business. Often the assumptions made by lawyers about potential clients are deeply flawed. We provide highly accurate, targeted and reasonably priced information about geographic and industry markets. We also conduct name recognition and market perception studies.
- BulletProofing®. Many firms devote so much attention to acquiring new clients that they place their existing client base in jeopardy of assaults from competing firms. Our BulletProofing program is designed to create a relationship and a knowledge base between the firm and its clients that is so deep, competitors have no chance to develop a relationship with the firm’s clients.
- Client Service Teams. The best source of new work is existing clients. By identifying the firm’s most important clients and devoting resources to meeting their needs, the firm naturally positions itself for additional work. Our experience in developing a limited number of strong functioning teams has helped clients build critical and lasting relationships.
- Industry Groups. Most clients tell us that the single thing they value most in a law firm is their knowledge about the client’s business. One way to do this is to create strong and active industry groups. We assist firms in identifying those industries in which they have sufficient basic knowledge and where opportunities exist, and then helping them create credible groups to build the firm’s industry knowledge and contacts.
- Rainmaking®. The Rainmaking video program is the all time most successful and most used business development training program for lawyers. The program is designed to be used in small groups to stimulate creativity and build reinforcement. Click here for further information.
- A large general practice firm had two clients actively involved in a highly specialized chemical process. The firm felt its operating and technical experience about the products manufactured and the product liability and environmental issues involved would be valuable to other manufacturers. We assisted the firm in creating its first industry group, creating internal information flows for industry-related information, gaining a position on the board of the leading trade association serving the industry, and using technical writers to assist in generating a column on legal/business issues for each issue of the industry’s trade magazine. The result was that the firm began representation of two additional companies and handled a client’s acquisition of several companies that would normally have gone to specialized M&A counsel.
- A firm in a “rust belt” city had been unsuccessful in identifying a merger partner. As an alternative, they wanted to position themselves as “the” go-to law firm in their city. Edge International performed a sophisticated study of the marketplace that involved interviewing a large number of businesses. We determined the areas where growth was most likely to occur in the city, and the firm positioned itself to build both expertise and reputation in those areas. The firm has risen to the point where they are the most profitable firm in the city.
- A large international firm was concerned that partners in various locations were operating as “free agents” in their marketing efforts. To develop a common business development experience base, the firm engaged Edge International to facilitate an ongoing series of training programs in every office of the firm. The program was designed to use exercises that stimulated cross-office business development efforts, and resulted in an increase in multi-office engagements and a much greater comfort level among partners in joint marketing activities.